The 5 Best Hard Rock Music Groups of All Time
Join the debate on which hard rock music groups deserves the title of best of all time.
There are countless hard rock music groups out there today, but which ones are the best of all time? This is a question that many music lovers have debated for years. While there are many great hard rock bands out there, there are only a handful that can truly be considered the best of all time. This list will countdown the 5 best hard rock groups of all time according to Critic’s Corner.
The 5 Best Hard Rock Music Groups of All Time
When you think of great hard rock music groups, a few bands immediately come to mind. These are the groups that have stood the test of time, churning out hit after hit and selling out stadiums around the world. If you’re a fan of hard rock, chances are you’ve seen at least one of these bands live in concert. Here are the 5 best hard rock music groups of all time.
1. Led Zeppelin – There’s no denying that Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. Formed in 1968, the band quickly rose to fame with their debut album, which featured hits like “Stairway to Heaven” and “Whole Lotta Love”. Over the course of their career, Led Zeppelin released 9 studio albums and toured extensively, cementing their place as one of the most popular rock bands in history.
2. AC/DC – Another classic hard rock band, AC/DC was formed in 1973 by brothers Angus and Malcolm Young. The band is best known for their high-energy live shows and hits like “You Shook Me All Night Long” and “Back in Black”. With over 200 million albums sold worldwide, AC/DC is one of the best-selling bands of all time.
3. Aerosmith – Aerosmith is one of the most successful hard rock bands of all time, withover 150 million albums sold worldwide. The band was formed in 1970 and has been touring and releasing new music ever since. They are best known for hits like “Walk This Way”, “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”, and “Dream On”.
4. Guns N’ Roses – One of the most successful hard rock bands of the 1980s, Guns N’ Roses released their debut album in 1987 to critical acclaim. The album featured hits like “Welcome to the Jungle”, “Sweet Child o’ Mine”, and “Paradise City”. The band went on to release several more successful albums before disbanding in 1996. They reunited in 2016 and continue to tour regularly.
5. Metallica – One of the biggest names in metal music, Metallica was formed in 1981 by Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield. The band has released 10 studio albums over the course of their career, selling over 100 million copies worldwide. They are best known for hits like “Enter Sandman”, “Nothing Else Matters”, and “One” . Metallica continues to tour regularly and is considered one of the greatest metal bands of all time .
#1: Led Zeppelin
Formed in London in 1968, Led Zeppelin consisted of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham. The band’s heavy, guitar-driven sound influenced many subsequent rock artists. Led Zeppelin’s first album, Led Zeppelin (1969), was recorded in a mere 36 hours and went on to become a huge success. The band’s next release, Led Zeppelin II (1969), featured the hit single “Whole Lotta Love” and cemented the group’s reputation as one of the world’s premier rock bands.
AC/DC is an Australian rock band, formed in Sydney in 1973 by brothers Malcolm and Angus Young. A hard rock/blues rock band, they have also been considered a heavy metal band, although they have always dubbed their music as “rock and roll”.
#3: Guns N’ Roses
Guns N’ Roses is one of the most iconic hard rock bands of all time. Formed in Los Angeles in 1985, the band rose to fame with their debut album, Appetite for Destruction, which was released in 1987. The album was a commercial and critical success, selling more than 30 million copies worldwide and becoming the best-selling debut album of all time in the United States.
The band’s follow-up albums, G N’ R Lies and Use Your Illusion I and II, were also huge successes, cementing Guns N’ Roses’ place as one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. The band has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide and has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Metallica is an American heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California. The group was formed in 1981 by lead vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield and drummer Lars Ulrich, and has been credited as one of the “big four” thrash metal bands, along with Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer. Metallica’s current lineup includes founding members Hetfield and Ulrich, longtime lead guitarist Kirk Hammett, and bassist Robert Trujillo. Guitarist Dave Mustaine (who went on to form Megadeth) and bassists Ron McGovney, Mark Clifford, Cliff Burton (who died in 1986) and Jason Newsted are also former members of the band.
Metallica achieved substantial commercial success with their eponymous fifth album (also known as “The Black Album”), which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. With almost 16 million copies sold in the United States alone as of December 2016, “The Black Album” is the band’s best-selling album by far. Metallica has racked up numerous awards over the years; they were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2009. In December 2013, they were ranked number one on Joel McIver’s list of the greatest heavy metal bands of all time.
Topping off our list at number 5 is the American rock band Nirvana. Nirvana was active between 1987 and 1994, and released three studio albums in that time. The band is considered to have brought alternative rock music into the mainstream, and their final album, In Utero, is often cited as one of the greatest albums of all time.
In conclusion, these are five of the best hard rock music groups of all time. Each one has made a significant impact on the genre and has produced some of the greatest rock music ever recorded. If you’re a fan of hard rock, then you owe it to yourself to check out these groups.