If you’re a fan of indie rock music, then you need to know about these top 5 bands. From up-and-coming artists to established acts, these are the bands that are making waves in the indie rock scene.
The top 5 indie rock bands you need to know
There is a lot of great indie rock music out there, and it can be hard to know where to start. So we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 indie rock bands you need to know, to get you started on your musical journey.
1. Arcade Fire – A Canadian indie rock band that has been around since 2003, Arcade Fire is known for their energetic live shows and anthemic songs. Their most recent album, Everything Now, was released in 2017 to critical acclaim.
2. The National – An American indie rock band that formed in 1999, The National has released seven albums, all of which have been highly acclaimed by critics. They are known for their atmospheric sound and lead singer Matt Berninger’s baritone vocals.
3. Fleet Foxes – A Seattle-based indie folk band that formed in 2006, Fleet Foxes have released three albums, the most recent of which, Crack-Up, came out in 2017. They are known for their intricate harmonies and use of traditional instrumentation.
4. Bon Iver – An American indie folk band fronted by singer-songwriter Justin Vernon, Bon Iver has released three albums since their formation in 2006. Their 2011 album Bon Iver won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album.
5. Sufjan Stevens – An American singer-songwriter who first gained prominence with his 2005 album Illinois, Sufjan Stevens has released a number of critically acclaimed albums since then, including 2015’s Carrie & Lowell and 2017’s The Greatest Gift mixtape.
Why you need to know them
With the advent of the internet, the music industry has been turned upside down. No longer are Record Labels the only way for a band to “make it”. Now, with a combination of social media, strategic touring, and good old fashioned word of mouth, bands can gain a following without ever having to sign their lives away. Here are five bands that have done just that.
What they bring to the table
In recent years, there has been a revival of interest in indie rock music. This is partly due to the fact that mainstream radio has become increasingly homogenized, and indie rock offers a welcome alternative. But it’s also because indie rock bands are simply making great music.
If you’re new to the genre, or just looking for some good bands to check out, here are five of the best indie rock bands around:
1. Arcade Fire
Arcade Fire is one of the most popular and acclaimed indie rock bands of the past decade. They’ve won multiple Grammy Awards and their album “Funeral” is widely considered one of the best albums of the 2000s. If you’re looking for a place to start with Arcade Fire, try their song “Ready to Start.”
2. The National
The National is a band that has been steadily gaining in popularity in recent years. Their album “High Violet” was nominated for a Grammy Award and they’ve been praised by critics for their emotionally powerful songwriting. If you’re looking for a place to start with The National, try their song “Bloodbuzz Ohio.”
Beirut is a band that mixes elements of indie rock with world music influences. Their unique sound has made them one of the most interesting and different sounding bands around. If you’re looking for a place to start with Beirut, try their song “Nantes.”
4. Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes rose to prominence in the early 2010s with their debut album, which was praised by critics for its beautiful melodies and intricate arrangements. If you’re looking for a place to start with Fleet Foxes, try their song “White Winter Hymnal.”
5. Bon Iver
Bon Iver is a band that’s known for its emotive and introspective songwriting. Their album “For Emma, Forever Ago” was recorded in isolation in a cabin in Wisconsin, and it’s full of beautiful and heart-wrenching songs. If you’re looking for a place to start with Bon Iver, try their song “Skinny Love.”
How they differ from other bands
Indie rock music is a genre that is difficult to define. It often includes elements of other genres, such as punk, alternative, and even classical. However, what sets indie rock apart from other music is its DIY spirit. Indie rock bands are usually independent, meaning they are not signed to a major record label. This allows them to have more control over their music and their career.
Another characteristic of indie rock bands is that they often have a very loyal fan base. This is likely because the music speaks to a certain group of people who feel like they have found something special in the band. For these fans, the band is not just music, but a way of life.
So, what are the top 5 indie rock bands you need to know? Here they are:
1. The Smiths
2. The Strokes
3. Vampire Weekend
4. Arcade Fire 5. Modest Mouse
What you can expect from their music
If you’re a fan of indie rock music, then there are certain bands that you just need to know about. Here are five of the best, along with a rundown of what you can expect from their music.
Arcade Fire: This Canadian band is one of the most popular indie rock groups around. They’re known for their anthemic, stadium-ready sound, as well as their political and social activism.
The National: This American band is one of the most acclaimed indie rock groups of recent years. They’re known for their dark, atmospheric sound, as well as their deeply personal lyrics.
The Decemberists: This American band is known for their literary-inspired songs and quirky sense of humor. Their sound is often described as “folk-influenced.”
Fleet Foxes: This American band is known for their beautiful, harmonies-laden songs. Their sound has been described as ” pastoral” and ” bucolic.”
Beirut: This American band is known for their unique blend of world music influences with indie rock sensibility. Their music has been described as “exotic” and ” hypnotic.”